- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup melted Lemon Brooklyn Buttery butter
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 to 3 Meyer lemons
Candy the lemons 24 hours in advance:
- Slice Meyer lemons into 12 thin circles.
- In a sauce pot, simmer water and sugar. Place the lemon slices in the pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the slices from the sauce pot and dry overnight on greased parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease a muffin tray and then lay a candied lemon slice in each muffin cup.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, yolk, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and sour cream.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gently fold in the wet mixture and then fold in melted butter.
- Scoop about 1½ ounces of batter into each muffin cup. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and immediately flip onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Allow the cakes to cool for 5 minutes in the tray and then remove.